International Students Manual

New Student Guide

Welcome Student Guide

Studying in another country is one of life’s most enriching experiences; travelers have recognized the benefits of learning about different ways of thinking and living.
Studying in a country and culture different from your own will enable you to look at the world from a new perspective. Nearly half a million students come to the United States to study each year from countries around the world.


Your adjustment in the United States may not seem like a shock at all; you may just be uncomfortable at times, or more tired than you would normally be.

Regardless, most foreign students and faculty experience culture shock and most learn to accept the differences that they encounter and even adjust to them.

Remember though, that each person’s experience is different, and part of the value of your experience abroad will be your own discovery of America and Americans.

You will only be living abroad for a limited time. Student Life

  • Be sure to get to know the city in which you live. Meet the locals.
  • Go to cultural activities like operas, plays, fairs and concerts.
  • Visit the historical sites and museums.
  • Look at the architecture. Eat at local restaurants. Investigate the nightlife.

Immigration Information

As a non-immigrant international student, you must:

  • Have a valid passport at all times.
  • Attend the school you were authorized to attend.
  • Be registered full-time for each academic semester as defined by law. For undergraduate students, this means registration for at least 12 credits per semester.
  • Maintain good academic standing and make normal progress towards completing your degree.
  • Obtain proper authorization before engaging in any off-campus employment.
  • Report promptly to the Registrar’s office any change of address.

Essential Documents

  • Passport
  • Visa.
  • I-20 Form.
  • I-94 Card.

If you have questions on any aspect of law and regulations related to your status, please make an appointment with your Academic Advisor.

Address Update

You must report your current residential address to the Immigration Services within 10 days of a move. Addresses you provide are automatically sent to the Immigration Services via SEVIS. Please update your local address in when you move.

Leaving the US and Re-entry

If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. (including going home), you must have page 3 of your I-20 Form signed by the DSO in the Registrar’s Office. This affirms that you are eligible to continue as a student at Atlantis University when you return to the U.S.

Students Insurance

In order to make your academic experience and staying in the US a safe and enjoyable one, we have partnered with a global insurance company to ensure you have all health protection in case of an emergency while away from home. Please find relevant information regarding the insurance policy and different plan options suggested for international students. If you have any further questions related to this information, please contact International Department to discuss this more in detail.

Visit for more information

Employment for F-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

F-1 students in lawful status are eligible and permitted to work on campus. Opportunities for on-campus employment exist but are competitive, and you should not expect immediate employment. Maintaining eligibility for most types of F-1 employment means that you must limit your work to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. You may work full-time (when school is not in session) and during summer vacations. Students who wish to apply for on-campus employment should make an appointment to request information about this.

Off-Campus Employment

All off-campus employment requires prior authorization from the Immigration Services. In most cases, you must be a full-time student in lawful status for one academic year before you are eligible to apply for off-campus employment authorization. Most common types of off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students are Curricular/Optional Practical Training.

Driver’s License and Travel

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues a Florida driver’s license. You will have to take a written test and a road test. There are a number of acceptable proofs of ID required by the DMV before they will issue a driver’s license. Some of these documents include:

  • Passport
  • Student ID
  • I-20 Form
  • Utility bill showing local address
  • Health insurance card


Your current F-1 program terminates if your absence from the U.S. is over 5 months, unless you have been authorized for study/research abroad.

Medical Insurance

By state law and university policy, all international students at AU in F-1 and J-1 status are required to have medical insurance prior to registration. Students will NOT be allowed to register for classes unless they comply with the medical insurance requirement.